Best Linux Database Software: You would agree with me when we say database software has indeed made organising and storing information easy. We can not imagine how dreadful work would be to search through every piece of information. With the help of a database software program that helps us store, organise, change and edit large amounts of information with ease.
Those who have little to no idea about database software are a program that deals with storing, editing, searching, managing, and retrieving data/information. It helps reduce the time and work to search manually for the required data and edit it.
Top 9 Linux Database Management Softwares in 2021
There are various software’s which help us manage this data. While most office PC’s support the Linux operating system due to its better coding and secure framework, which helps database management work more efficiently. We will now look at the 9 best Linux database software (Free and Paid) 2021.
1. Microsoft SQL
Software Description: Microsoft SQL is database management released by Microsoft. It primarily focuses on the storage and retrieval of information depending on the requests made by other software. Microsoft offers various editions according to its function, requirement and cost range. It can be written in C, C++, Java and C# coding languages. It is a Relational Database Manager Software (RDBMS).
Microsoft SQL supports the ANSI Structured Query Language, which is the standard SQL language. It also consists of an additional language called T-SQL ( Transact-SQL). It is one of the top Linux database management software.
- Integration of Data – Microsoft SQL integrates the structural and non-structural data using SQL servers and Spark.
- Advanced Security – Its highly advanced security protects your information stored in the database.
- Faster response – Its rich interactive Power BI makes faster and efficient decisions.
- User-Defined Composite Types (UDT’s) – It allows for user-defined composite types (UDTs) to be defined and used.
- SQL Servers – SQL servers ensure easy disaster recovery and high availability and lessen server issues and traffic.
Software Plan and Pricing: Microsoft SQL has various editions and plans which open up numerous opportunities depending on your budget.
- Enterprise Edition – $13748 It is a two-core pack with volume licensing and hosting
- Standard-per core – $3586 It is a two-core pack with volume licensing and hosting
- Standard-server – $899 It includes a server with volume licensing and hosting
- Developer– Free One Licensing model per user
- Express – Free Not applicable
- Microsoft SQL increases data security
- It has an easy installation and User interface
- Data Recovery in Microsoft SQL is comparatively easier
- Restricted compatibility with other platforms
- Hardware restrictions make it difficult to work on weak computers
2. Oracle Database
Oracle Database is a multi-database management software developed by Oracle. It is self-correcting, securing and managing databases that are designed to reduce manual data management. The purpose of this software is to retrieve stored data from the database.
It is the key to solving information management problems. It is also the first database made for enterprise grid computing. Moreover, it is widely popular in online transaction processing databases.
- Application Development – Oracle Database opens up application development methods like JDBC, PL/SQL improvements, SQL language improvements.
- Content Management – It has Text improvements and Intermedia improvements for content management.
- Clustering – One of the main features is clustering, Grid computing and management, and Server Manageability.
- Optimised for high performance – It is optimised for database workload, streaming workload and hyper-scale big data.
- Security – Oracle Database makes sure that it allows read-only access, managing workload across databases.
Software Plan and Pricing: Oracle has various editions depending on your budget.
- Enterprise Edition: $47500 Socket, Cores per Socket, Core Factor
- Standard Edition: $175000 Sockets only
- Standard Edition One- $5800 Sockets only
- PL/SQL provides an efficient way to interact without transfer of data
- Pluggable Databases
- Easily restoration of table partition with RMAN
- Lacking Technical support
- Data Guard Setup is complex to understand
- Lacking automated SQL tuning
3. Raima Database Manager
Raima Database Manager is a database management system used in embedded system applications. RDM supports both SQL and Non-SQL databases. It boasts free technical support with its highly skilled engineers and software developers during the entire evaluation processes.
- Variety of Coding Languages – RDM supports C, C++, C#, RESTful, Java.
- Transactional File Server (TFS) – The RDM TFS serves and manages the database files efficiently.
- Encryption – RDM Encryption encrypts the data before transport, which increases security.
- RDM SQL PL – RDM SQL PL is a high-level language used to store and perform the functions.
Software Plan and Pricing: The price has not been revealed explicitly by the developer. However, there is a free trial for you to try on.
- Cross-Platform Environment which can run on most RTOS
- On-Disk/ Hybrid In-Memory
- Faster and more powerful application with cheap maintenance costs
- Hard time trying to find the needed package
- Limited database size
- High chance of losing information
MySQL is an open-source database software that runs on a lot of platforms. It is one of the most popular database software for Linux users. SQL is the most famous language for adding, getting to and overseeing content in a database.
It is generally noted for its speed processing, top quality, easy and adaptable work station. It is now under Oracle but is flexible, high yield database software.
- Programming Language – MySQL supports C, C++, Java, Perl, TCL, Python etc.
- Warehouse Strengths – This software has web and information warehouse strengths.
- Storage Variability – It uses MyISAM, NDB, RAM, and Archive as storage other than InnoDB.
- Supports modern-day functionality – Supports SSL, query caching, updatable views, True Varchar
- Compatibility – High compatibility with Windows, macOS, Linux, Solaris, etc.
Software Plan and Pricing:
- Standard Edition Subscription – $20001-4 socket servers
- Enterprise Edition Subscription – $10000 5 socket servers
- Cluster Carrier Grade Edition Subscription – $20000 5+ socket servers
- Focused on Web, Cloud and Big Data
- Keeps password encrypted
- Best open source RDBMS databases
- Transaction Handling was inefficient
- Does not support large databases like other competitors.
- Under Oracle, it is less open source.
MariaDB is an open-source, free database management software. It is compatible with MySQL. It is compatible with a lot of applications. This can be used in banking to various websites. MariaDB works on various platforms and supports various programming languages.
- Galera Cluster Technology – MariaDB provides Galera Cluster Technology
- Powerful Storage Engine – Aria, its powerful storage engine, can perform both transactional and non-transactional processes.
- Cross-Platform – It comes with built-in support and cross-platform support.
Software Plans and Pricing: It is a free database software.
- It is a free alternative to MySQL.
- Works fast with Python.
- High availability through TX Cluster.
- Lots of bugs.
- Needs work in multiple database setups.
- Manually backup and restore.
DreamFactory is a free database management app that works on mobile, web and IoT applications. It automatically creates, tests and publishes the REST API.DreamFactory makes accessing back-end storage databases easy with a common REST interface. It enables clients to integrate any SQL or Non-SQL file.
- Manage API limits – It enables the users to have access to API limits
- ELK – Elastic Logstash Kibana enables users to report and audit the API Traffic.
- Instant API – It allows the user to get an Instant API creation
Software Plans and Pricing: It is a free database software.
- Easy Setup and User interface
- Enterprise-Grade Security
- Immediate RESTAPIs and their documentation
- Upgrading to a new version causes issues
- Debugging problems is hard
- It is a lot CPU intensive
PostgreSQL provides a relational database solution that is reliable and delivers high performance. It is supported by both SQL and JSON. It is used for building disaster-resistant environments and managing data.
- Compatibility – It is compatible with various platforms and all major languages.
- High Concurrency control – It supports multi-version concurrency control
- Allows linking with Non-SQL – It allows linking with Non-SQL data stores.
- Excessive support for interfaces – C++, JDBC, Perl DBI, Julia, ODBC, Node.js, Tcl, and Python.
Software Plans and Pricing: It is a free database software.
- Supports various method of indexation
- Flexible enough to choose various procedural language
- Has better features free of cost
- The absence of In memory mode is concerning
- Slow Index Operations.
- No user control over data compression.
MongoDB is an open-source Non-SQL database used for huge data storage. It is essential in building and updating apps. It works for a phone application, real-time analysis, IoT. Documents consist of key-value pairs, which are the basic unit of data. MongoDB uses the JSON scheme for data storage.
- Open Source – MongoDB’s open-source database management helps to add the database to the cloud.
- Third-Party Services – It is compatible with third-party services and gives API’s that allow serverless functions.
- A Powerful Query Language – MongoDB is known for its powerful query language.
- Mapping is easier – Due to the document data model, mapping to the objects in the code is easy.
Software Plans and Pricing: MongoDB Atlas Free:
- Free Version: For teams learning MongoDB or developing small applications. Get 512MB storage free and scale up to 5GB.
- $57 per month: For teams building applications that need advanced development or production-ready environments.
- $95 per month: For teams developing world-class applications that require multi-region resiliency or ultra-low latency access.
- MongoDB offers a Flexible Database
- It has a High-speed response
- MongoDB offers Better Technical Support
- High Memory usage leads to overheating and lagging.
- Limited Nesting is one major issue
- Limited Data Size hinders large project development
Xero Practice Manager (XPM) is a database that manages and tracks the workflow, time and job costs. All responses convert to XML response. It is cloud-based and is accessible from any device at any given moment. In XPM, Custom billing rates can be set up.
- Client Creation – XPM allows you to create a Client creation automatically.
- Template Auto-Population – Data management of a huge number of files leads to errors. XPM uses the client data to automatically populate document templates which fill the data automatically.
- Internal Deadlines – XPM can set internal deadlines, which is a missing feature in a lot of other databases.
Software Plans and Pricing: XPM- $149 per month for ten users.
- Easy to use and client-friendly user interface
- Easy access to bank with Xero Practice Manager
- Low price
- Frequent software crash
- Software is sometimes unresponsive
- Clients and Vendors are all added to the contact list, which makes organising difficult.
Which is the Best Database Software for Linux? (Eleggible’s Recommendation)
Microsoft SQL is the best database software for Linux. It is released and developed by Microsoft. The constant updates of all editions keep it up to date with what the clients want in the market. Microsoft SQL’s T-SQL language, user-friendly database applications, IntelliSense feature makes it one of the best database software for Linux out there.
What Is A Database Management System?
A database management system is an application made to initiate storage, retrieval, management and defining the data in a database. It makes the data available to the users to create, edit, update, read, delete, recover and secure the information in the database.
A Database management system can offer both logical data as well as physical data independence. The hardware is a high-end server with a large amount of memory configured to store data.
Which Database Type Is Used In Linux Systems?
Relational Databases is widely used in Linux Systems. A relational database is a collection of data and information with pre-designed relationships between them. They are usually organised in rows and columns. MS SQL, Oracle, MySQL are examples of RDBMS ( Relational Database Management System). Relational Database Management System is the basis for SQL ( Structured Query Language )
How To Select The Best Linux Database Software?
- Linux Database gives a stable data warehouse.
- Multi-User Capability allows various users to access the same system resources.
- Supports various keyboards and different languages
- It is open-source, and code is available to all for free.
- A hierarchical file system that arranges files and directories
- The flexibility of Linus databases is a great advantage. It can be used for desktop apps and server applications.
- Linux databases are Programmer Friendly. They support tons of Programming languages like C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Ruby and more.
- Privacy is the main issue in most databases. Linux Databases take care of user privacy as well as the private data of the client.
- Linux Databases are compatible with a large number of formats.
- They are heavily documented for beginners. Linux databases are beginner-friendly. They are easy to work with, and easy user interface, and well-elaborated support systems. Also, various communities like Ask Ubuntu, Reddit help clear the doubts of the users.
Eleggible’s Final Words
This was all about the 9 best Linux database software [ Free and Paid] 2021. I hope all your queries about the database systems in Linux are clear. Feel free to comment below for your further questions. So what do you think? Which software caught your interest? If there is some other software that did not make it to the list, leave a comment below to let us know.