In the article, the best LoRaWAN testers for coverage testing a LoRaWAN tester is a tool for testing the coverage of a LoRaWAN network. With this device, network operators measure the quality and performance of the network.
You will need some tools to have a successful LoRaWAN network. The best LoRaWAN testers for coverage testing help with ranger coverage and radio frequency testing.
LoRaWAN testers come with a few benefits:
- LoRaWAN has a more extended range with more energy efficiency than wireless technologies.
- LoRaWAN-enabled devices consume less power and provide good insight into the radio environment.
- It ensures that devices can connect to the network and receive a good signal.
- Coverage testing helps to troubleshoot any connection issues you might be facing.
- Developing IoT applications requires LoRaWAN.
There are many different ways to test the coverage of a LoRaWAN network.
- It’s essential to calibrate the tester in the correct way.
- Perform the test in an open area or area with few obstructions.
- Using many devices in different locations gives an accurate picture of the coverage.
- Connect the tester to the gateway and start taking readings.
Different LoRaWAN testers have a unique set of advantages and disadvantages. Your choice will depend on your needs and budget. A gateway is an excellent choice for testing large areas. But for specific sites, an end device may be the better choice. Finally, why do you need the tester? – signal strength, coverage, or data rates.
Once you know the needs, it’ll be much easier to find the right tool. We have listed down a few testers after thorough research. We’ve tested based on coverage and signal strength. The list has the best LoRaWAN testers to make an informed decision about IoT projects.
Top 6 LoRaWAN Testers for Coverage Testing (2023 Picks)
#1. Adeunis FTD
The tester is designed for products adaptable to any environment. It gives a quick view of network coverage data and received signal strength. The tester has a specific Web application and geolocates measurement sites.
The tester is a self-powered, rechargeable stand-alone product. It has an interchangeable battery. The operating temperature ranges from -20° C to +40° C. The radiated power is 23 dBm, and the sensitivity is 140 dBm.
It has more functions like an alert button and dry contact input. Local and remote configurations are possible with the tester. To optimize the number of emails, the tester enables data logging.
It also features time stamping of IoT data and network tests. You can have periodic or event modes as per convenience. The tester comes with an integrated fixing system, both wall and laid. The other technical specifications include the following:
- One digital input.
- One connected button.
- A Configurable life frame.
- Testing network at startup.
- Personalization of the joint phase.
- Alarm repetition.
- It is compatible with KARE and KARE+ services.
It is a LoRaWAN network quality tester. It tests the LoRaWAN® radio quality of a site. Netw’O records and time-stamps information about the quality of the radio link. You can control through a smartphone application where you can view measured data.
Through the application interface, you can choose a different device. This feature allows one to test the radio quality of another network. Deploying the Netw’O on various LoRaWAN® networks with various devices. The application interface geolocates, records, and presents factors like-
- Received signal strength indication
- Signal-to-noise ratio
- Gateway number
- Listening window
It helps you to choose the number of frames transmitted. This tester also makes the spreading factor and the rate adaptability (ADR) possible. You can transfer measurement reports in JSON and CSV format via email.
It also enables other ways of communication. It compares the radio coverage of several LoRaWAN® networks. The tester comes with characteristics-
- Easy to use
- Uplink and downlink LED status
- Enables remote control from a smartphone
- Record the number of gateways on several networks at the same time
- Power supply: 2 x AA 1.5V battery
#3. RF signal tester
RF signal tester is a LoRa signal coverage testing on site. The tester has a large LCD screen that displays real-time network information. You can also view the GPS localization information.
It features two pushbuttons. One for managing the LCD display and the other for testing radio transmissions in manual mode. There is also a button for the On/Off switch selector.
It permits prolonged operation without battery recharging. The tester is safe and environmentally friendly. You can charge the tester using a standard 5V / 500mA micro USB charger.
You have to order the charger separately. The tester allows transmitting and receiving testing radio frames. It comes with a sensor for temperature, an accelerometer, and a GPS receiver.
The maximum radio power is 14dBm with a receiver sensitivity -140dBm. This tester can operate up to a distance of 15km without obstacles. The product is mercury free with RoHS exemption information. The tester comes with specifications.
- Communication network types are wireless LoRaWAN, 865-870MHz
- Input current is 500 mA at 5 V for battery charging
- The battery type is Lithium-Polymer 2 Ah, 3.7 V
- Module configuration
- Range compatibility
#4. Senlab Tools(SL Tools)
Senlab Tools is a LoRaWAN network coverage tester and device commissioning. SL Tester is ready to use the package Plug & Play. This includes hardware, software, and 3G connectivity.
It enables highly reliable local LoRaWAN network coverage definition. It functions with the same devices and gateway as the deployment site. You can check the status through SMS on a mobile phone.
The tester comes with one outdoor SLtester device and one indoor SLtester device. It gives a three-year service subscription. It also provides collecting field help documents.
The RF power is +14dBm with a receiver sensitivity of -137dBm. The tester has an operating temperature of 0° C to 55° C and radio band 868MHz. Use this tool with complete autonomy to configure all Senlab devices.
SL-Setting kit comprises hardware support and a software program. The hardware optimizes the position of the devices. The software program gives access to all the configuration and maintenance. It has several applications.
- Indoor and Outdoor site
- Testing radio range on a new site
- Position validation of devices and gateway
- Smart and Efficient execution
- Proof-of-concept to massive deployment acceleration
- Checking the environment’s influence
#5. LORAWAN Network Tester(GPS)
The LoRaWAN network tester locates (GPS) measurement points. It also allows automatic measurement of the coverage quality. It sends a particular signal to the LoRaWAN network that returns the number of Gateways.
The tester also returns signal quality (SNR, RSSI, dB). This uplink or downlink data tester displays information on a digital display. The GPS chip allows the location of measurements.
It enables GPS position and number of satellites. The automatic function gives constant updates on coordinates. It sends the measurement data to the LoRaWAN network.
This tester tests public or private LoRaWAN networks. It helps to decide the best placement of gateways and sensors relative to each other. Technical specifications of the tester are-
- Manual or Automatic Mode
- GPS measurements location
- On-screen visualization
- Sends test data to the application
- High autonomy and USB charging
- UART communication support
- In-built GPS Ceramic Antenna.
- Accuracy position to 5 Meters.
- Easy positioning of gateways
- Requires a low operating current.
- Tracking Sensitivity of 163dBm.
#6. LoRa Alliance
The tester enables immediate viewing of network coverage data. It provides geolocation of measurement points. The tester has a dedicated web application. Public network operators have a high demand for the product.
The tester is self-powered and rechargeable. It has an operating temperature range from -20 ° C to +75 ° C. The RF power is +14dBm with a receiver sensitivity of -140dBm.
LoRa Alliance is a powerful and easy-to-use LoRaWAN tester. It is quite affordable and has many great features. This LoRa Alliance tester supports Class A devices.
It allows logging data over time for future analysis. The intuitive user interface is very user-friendly. The tester makes troubleshooting any problems quick and easy. Technical specifications of the tester are-
- Selectable bands
- The transmission power of 14-18dBm, 50mW
- The rate of communication is 300 bps to 5 Kbps
- Modulation Support to FSK, GFSK, OOK, and LORA.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Is LoRaWAN coverage testing important?
LoRaWAN coverage testing is essential to ensure that the network functions properly. Lorawan tester coverage testing is important because-
- Easy to set up and use, even for those unfamiliar with LoRaWAN technology.
- Addressing areas of poor coverage that are accurately
- It is versatile to networks of different frequencies and modulation schemes.
- The tester is compatible with the specific type of equipment.
2. Is LoRaWAN better than WiFi?
LoRaWAN covers multiple kilometers and it is hard to reach low data rates. It is preferred for low-bandwidth applications. WiFiWiFi connectivity covers short range with more power. LoRaWAN networks support low data rate massive IoT applications.
Eleggible’s Final Words
Although many LoRaWAN testers are available, not all are equal. They are different in features, ease of use, and price. Some testers are more accurate than others, while some are more expensive.
For the Best LoRaWAN Testers For Coverage Testing coverage test, it is crucial to categorize all of the data. The data collected needs several classifications. The best LoRaWAN testers for coverage testing provide accurate results. When choosing a LoRaWAN tester, you need to consider the following-
- size of the area to test
- How quickly do you need results
- The level of accuracy you require
The thorough research on the above factors helps in making a purchase decision. Thus you can choose the suitable LoRaWAN tester. A good tester enables accurate testing of the LoRaWAN network and ensures optimal coverage.
Coverage testing can be used to evaluate the performance of the best Lorawan testers. We are delighted to be a part of this developing technological trend. We’ve reviewed the best LoRaWAN testers that suit your needs.